by Chef John daSilva of Spoke Wine Bar
Ingredients2 tablespoons of EVOO
1 Medium Onion, diced
2 cups of Farro
2 quarts of Mushroom, Chicken or Beef Broth, boiling
1/2 cup of Heavy Cream
1 cup of Freshly Grated Parmesan
Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pan, combine the EVOO and diced onion, and sweat on medium heat until translucent for about 5 minutes. Add the farro to the pan, stir to combine, and cook the mixture for another 5 minutes. Add 1/3 of the boiling broth to the farro and continue to cook until all of the liquid is absorbed and the farro begins to stick. Repeat this step two more times until you have used all of the broth.
- Check the farro for doneness. The grains should be tender while still maintaining their shape. If necessary, continue to cook the farro using water in place of the broth.
- To finish: Turn the heat down to low, add the heavy cream and grated parmesan to the risotto and stir to combine.
- Adjust the consistency with more water if necessary, and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve with roasted mushrooms, bacon, fresh herbs and even a poached egg if you like!
Note: Proper risotto should be wet like a porridge or polenta, not thick like oatmeal.